Sunday, December 25, 2011

Make-up by Karen Jean Santos

Ever since discovering the magic of make-up, I've been hooked! I've gone on to build  my own personal collection and know-how by reading blogs, watching videos (hello Michelle Phan!) and attending make-up courses offered in Manila. 

My first try at a make-up course was through Suesh, same company I bought my 16-piece make-up brush set from. This was in April 2009 and they held it at a condominium in Eastwood City for a group of 8 or so girls. I was so ecstatic to get a one-on-one time with a Kanebo MUA so I can build my HG day & night look. I remembered looking and feeling fab afterwards whilst trying to memorize every stroke and color that we did that day.

As memories don't always serve us well, over time I forgot how to re-create the same perfect smokey eyes they did to me that day. It was a good thing that my office mate Maan, invited me to a make-up workshop of her classmate, Karen Jean Santos. I have honestly not heard about her from before but since it was a referral by a friend, I trusted her good judgment. 

So on October 2011, off we went to H Studio (right inside Liberty Center in Mandaluyong) for a half-day worth of make-up basics, actual application and professional photo session. The fee is around PHP 1,500 for 1 session (BONUS: you get to attend a free session afterwards. yes, in case you forget...make-up after all, is so complicated at the onset). Although they provide the basics like a few drops of liquid foundation, few ounce of powder to set your foundation, I suggest that you just bring your own make-up. Why? So you don't feel pressured to do everything right the first time and you have a free hand to explore how heavy you want for coverage or how colorful you want your eyes to flutter. You don't have to buy your MACs right away; I believe you can consult with her through Facebook and she will recommend less-pricey products that will still give you your money's worth.

 Karen Jean Santos showing us how to do day make-up

What should you expect? The works! Expert advice from a former MAC Rockwell MUA, basic skin care, basic color wheel explanation and how it relates to your skintone and undertones, photo shoot from 2 or more photographers. They even had full-on vanity mirrors with Hollywood-ish flashbulbs that would instantly make you feel like a pro!

 That's me in white and my friend Maan donning a floral frock

If like me you have a budding romance with make-up, always keep an open eye and an open mind, watch videos if you must but from time to time, make sure you get in touch with people who have proven themselves in their respective fields and learn actual tricks of the trade from them. You'll never know what new worlds would just open up for you!


That's me (in white) and make-up artist Karen Jean Santos (in black) after the half-day session


Karen will be holding more basic make-up sessions in 2012. For more information, add her on Facebook.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...