Saturday, March 17, 2012

What to do a day before the PRC Real Estate Broker's Exam?

Taking a test is a very stressful activity. We can never feel fully prepared as there are a lot of things coming up at the last minute - more information, corrections and just the general feeling of self-doubt and fatigue.

A Team of Champions

I am very thankful to have found group mates who are very responsible, studious and knowledgeable (of course, this is on top of us being young, pretty & handsome as a bunch! hehe..). We have been lurking at Starbucks at the Fort (the very first one in the Philippines with drive-thru service) almost daily so we can take advantage of the power of numbers and just review together; it is really beneficial for us because we somehow 'pressure' each other to study more and at the same time, we get to develop our friendships through some chika-chika in between study sessions and our gastronomic food trips :) Our group is also very generous to each other, sharing notes, new info, review materials and what have you. Thank you so much to Rowie, Jecelle, Lysander, Bryan, Karen, Johanna, Tom, Rudy and Grizel - we really are the URBAN CHAMPIONS!

In this time when I keep asking myself, "have I really studied or prepared enough?" I just look back at my 3-month experience with the URBAN Institute, headed by Engr. Enrico Cruz, and take comfort in the fact
that they have done their part in educating us to be the best real estate brokers and that we as students, have also done our part in listening and reviewing the lectures and practice exams.

Diminishing Returns - When Studying Becomes Unproductive 
 
We have been advised to concentrate on our review way before the exam and not cram on the last day. I believe this helps soothe our frazzled nerves and  somehow helps our brain cells and long-term memory. At this point, I don't think I would want to lose brain cells due to the pressure and sacrifice the 90% I studied to the trivial info that I will find today. Meaning, the day before the exam should be a rest and relaxation day; all 'cramming' and late nights and coffee should have been finished 2 days before. What I know is what I know.

Day of Rest, Relaxation and Preparation 

Keeping this in mind, here are the things I have done thus far and those that I plan to do later so I can prepare myself best for the exam:

  1. Supported my friend's Fun Run for Interface Computer College: I supported without really running. Exercise before a big event is really a personal matter which concerns stamina and your personal training. I opted not to run and do other strenuous activities so I can conserve my energy. If you must, limit your cardio to 15 minutes or just do light stretching. I guess I'm also energized by my friends and it feels great to know that they are always rooting for your success!


  2. Visited St. Jude Thaddeus Church: A visit to St. Jude really helps me a lot in easing most of my worries. I lighted several candles with Andrew and we said our prayers. I felt relieved and comforted because I know that God will help me and St. Jude will help intercede for me and the rest of the examinees.

  3. Things to bring for the exam:
    • NOA / Notice of Admission
    • Receipt
    • Metered envelope
    • Long brown envelope
    • Long clear plastic envelope
    • #2 pencils, sharpened (bring 6 or more, you'll never know when one will break and when a cute guy asks if you have an extra pencil teehee!)
    • Sharpener
    • PRC approved calculator (non-programmable types)
    • Black ballpen
    • I.D.
    • Eyeglasses
    • Clips, pony tail holder
    • money

  4. Food for the exam:
    • Water, remove label - always keep hydrated
    • Finger food for snacks
    • Easy to eat lunch
    • Don't bring anything too spicy or weird for your palate, we want to maximize our time confidently answering the exam than attending to gastric inconveniences

  5. Clothes: White Polo w/ collar and slacks. If necessary, do a 'dress rehearsal' because you have to be really comfortable and confident in what you are wearing for the exam.

  6. Eat healthy and took my vitamins: Caramel Macchiato was my drink of choice during our reviews at Starbucks because it really helped to keep me awake (sometimes even past 4am). However, I stopped drinking any coffee 2 days ago so I won't have to battle insomnia and feel tired for the exam. I'm also taking Vitamin A, C, E, D3, and Fish Oil; check with your doctor on appropriate supplements.

  7. Coordinate for travel to venue: Most examinees will take the exam at the University Belt of Manila. As we know, it is very hard to find decent and safe parking slots around the area so it's better to just have someone drive you to the area or make arrangements with a taxi company to pick you up early from your place.

  8. Anticipated Mass: Since I have to be at the venue very early and the exam will probably take the whole day, I will be attending Saturday's anticipated mass instead

  9. Sleep early and set your alarm early: To make sure we are truly refreshed and ready to take on the licensure, tuck yourself early to bed and set multiple alarms as needed. Be at the venue before 6 AM.
Good luck to my fellow examinees! God bless us all and see you at the oath-taking! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...